It’s that time of year again where I’m reflecting on the year. I’m celebrating my wins, and deciding how I’m going to make next year even better. Truth be told, no matter what goals I have or actions I take, each year my clients surprise me with amazing moments I never expected, and teach me how to be a better photographer. So while we count down to Christmas and the New Year, I am counting down the best 20 moments of 2017!
1. When Alora put on her wedding dress. I saw a little bit of myself in her at that moment, remembering the feeling of zipping that dress up — the excitement, butterflies, nerves. What a sweet day it was!
2. Chelsey and Adam’s first look. This had us all tearing up a bit! The water works didn’t stop at this moment either. All friends and family had full hearts for this intimate celebration!
3. Being published on Offbeat Bride. These guys hired me back in December 2016 THE NIGHT BEFORE their wedding, and had the sweetest little living room ceremony, thrown by their closest friends.
4. My first trip to Baltimore + the Droneburg’s Orioles Engagement session. It was a special treat to get a private tour of Camden Yards at Oriole Park and some field time for Teresa + Mat’s engagement session. Talk about a special location!
5. Turning 22! These last few years have been filled with the unexpected. Never in my life could I have predicted that I would be married, with five animals, have two homes (be landlords, sort of), graduate college early, and, oh my gosh, running my own business?! I can hardly believe this is my life!
6. Zach + Alicia’s heart-warming, pre-wedding prayer. And… well, the rest of their wedding too!
7. Finding my dream home… and actually buying it! (Thanks, John, for moving with me three times in three years… sorry!)
8. Ashley and Aaron’s wedding — her sweet first look with dad, Aaron’s tears as Ashley came down the aisle, and her face as she was hoisted into the air just minutes into their reception!
9. Being published in Virginia Bride Magazine! So glad they recognized how special Alora + Frankie’s wedding was too <3
10. Mr. + Mrs. Droneburg’s Poland-meets-Maryland wedding. I learned about Polish wedding traditions, danced the polka, and even got a visit from a special “celebrity” guest!
11. Chris + Jenny’s perfect sunset. I got to watch the sunset with these cuties at Virginia Tech, and heard Jenny’s father lead a heart-warming bilingual prayer to bless the Headley’s marriage. Oh, and there were mustaches too!
12. My parent’s anniversary party. For mom + dad’s 25th anniversary, we threw them a surprise party, complete with some of their wedding guests and family members who traveled more than 8 hours for the event! Can’t believe we pulled off the surprise!
13. Photographed the wedding of one of my very best friends + “bridesman” from my wedding… on the windiest day of the year no doubt! I’m not allowed to have favorite weddings, but man, this was a JOY to be a part of!
14. So many sweet portrait sessions! I’ve been going on and on about weddings, but these families and seniors were a pleasure to work with this year, and I hope I get to keep seeing them back again!
15. My first small business shoot for Script + Hammer. I love shopping small, and LeEllen over at Script + Hammer is an amazing maker who has provided lots of custom client gifts for me in the past. It was an absolute pleasure to work on her brand photos!
16. Did not cave and adopt ANY more animals in 2017. Five is enough (okay, 7 if you count the little ones too).
17. Second-shoot and assisted 9 amazing photographers at weddings this year, and looking forward to many more next year!
18. Booked a few amazing couples for 2018 weddings!
19. Took on 22 families in one day at Gaver Farm. So many sweet little ones came out to see me, and we raised money for the Birthing Circle of Frederick MD as well as two Angel Tree children who are going to love their gifts! Thank you all so much!
20. Last, but totally not least… We celebrated a year of marriage with a weekend away in the mountains — no cell service or electronics, no distractions. I am so grateful for my John. With him, I can achieve anything. He’s my secret to success. Here’s a bunch of my favorite photos 🙂
This year was truly amazing, and I can’t wait to see all that 2018 brings my way! If you’re thinking of hiring me in 2018, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let’s get that conversation started! It’s my New Year’s resolution to serve more people next year, and I hope you’re one of them!